Author Topic: POS system for a motorcycle shop  (Read 10943 times)

Offline jjwinter

• Tier 3 Member
POS system for a motorcycle shop
« on: June 04, 2012, 10:57:36 AM »
I have a client who is has just bought a space for motorcycle repair. He wants a POS system, I showed him QB POS but it is too much $$$ for him. Any recommendations?

Offline Arctic

• USAF Vet
  • Global Moderator
  • Guru
Re: POS system for a motorcycle shop
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 01:34:52 PM »
would help to know what his budget is.

Offline Dave

• Tier 3 Member
  • Guru
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 01:48:58 PM »
I have a client who is has just bought a space for motorcycle repair. He wants a POS system, I showed him QB POS but it is too much $$$ for him. Any recommendations?

If QB POS is too expensive there probably are no commercial options that will work for him. You could suggest an open source option but that means serious cash for setup and support. If he is on a very limited budget I would suggest a cash register and a cheap inventory program.
"And as I've gotten older, I've had more of a tendency to look for people who live by kindness, tolerance, compassion, a gentler way of looking at things."

Martin Scorsese

Offline eroccia

• Tier 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 01:54:07 PM »
Maybe a Ipad with Squares new POS app?

https://squareup.com/register

Offline Nathan Williams

• Tier 3 Member
  • Macgyvertech
  • Let there be Chrome
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 03:20:51 PM »
Quickbooks really isn't good for repairshops.  The industry already has custom software for such repair that also functions as hardware catalogs, inventory management, etc.  If he wants access to parts catalogs he's gonna have to pay some for that anyway.

MercenaryRoadie

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 03:39:50 PM »
If QB POS is too much money for him. Then a POS system set up for motorcycle repiar will be completely out his price range.

Isn't QB POS less than $1000.00 with all the hardware included?

Offline bfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor
    • WNY PC Repair
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 04:50:02 PM »
Quickbooks really isn't good for repairshops.  The industry already has custom software for such repair that also functions as hardware catalogs, inventory management, etc.  If he wants access to parts catalogs he's gonna have to pay some for that anyway.

I know snapon does parts catalogs for auto shops. Don't know about motorcycle shops.

Offline RoboGeek

• Gising na!!
  • Tier 3 Member
  • Guru
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 04:59:38 PM »
your best bet is to call a few shops and ask what they use. Small business people are generally very happy to help you out with ideas - as long as your not in their market.. lol
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Offline Ward

• Tier 3 Member
  • Guru
    • The Video Dash Cam Store
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 05:51:24 PM »
Legal paper and a manila folder.

Offline Nathan Williams

• Tier 3 Member
  • Macgyvertech
  • Let there be Chrome
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 05:59:19 PM »
Alldata is the big software provider for AutoRepair shops.  Got two clients that both use it.  Can't say if they do Motorcylces but I suspect they do or someone does the same level of software for them.  But it's like $2000 per year to use it.

Offline bfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor
    • WNY PC Repair
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 07:19:53 PM »
If you google motorcycle repair shop software there are a few systems that pop up.

Offline RoboGeek

• Gising na!!
  • Tier 3 Member
  • Guru
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 07:59:32 PM »
Alldata is the big software provider for AutoRepair shops.  Got two clients that both use it.  Can't say if they do Motorcylces but I suspect they do or someone does the same level of software for them.  But it's like $2000 per year to use it.

I have 2 that use alldata.. its very good software, and if they can afford it its worth it. Just gotta find out if they do motorcycles

Offline jjwinter

• Tier 3 Member
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 11:11:48 PM »
Thanks, I'll check that out. QB POS with all the stuff is around $2500. 

If its all too much he'll just have to sit down and really decide what the cost of NOT having a good system is.

Offline RoboGeek

• Gising na!!
  • Tier 3 Member
  • Guru
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 11:47:13 PM »
Alldata is much more than just a POS system.. its got current recalls, service bulletins and  repair manuals. The software will occasionally glitch on the database but its always been an easy fix. If they have it for MCs, well worth the price

*edit - just checked.. doesn't appear to be a motorcycle version. So back to maybe calling some shops and see if they will tell you what they use
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:49:26 PM by RoboGeek »

Offline Parrish

• Tier 3 Member
  • Mentor
    • Pathfinder Networks
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 12:26:56 AM »
Thanks, I'll check that out. QB POS with all the stuff is around $2500. 

If its all too much he'll just have to sit down and really decide what the cost of NOT having a good system is.
Quickbooks is one of, if not the, cheapest commercial POS systems out there.  You won't be able to do better than that- not without cobling something together yourself and using open source options.  Most others charge more than that just for the software.  Unfortunately.

One thing you should talk to him about- see if he truly needs a POS system.  Maybe he could get by with using Quickbooks Pro and just do everything via invoice?  You can take payments and all that via Quickbooks.  We did it for a few years in our shop without issue.  It's only when we started selling more and more individual retail items that it made sense to go with the POS system. 
© 2013 Parrish Reinoehl

Quote from: Todd Hughes
Linux guys are a strange lot...........